Thor Almost Takes the Mountain

Mighty Thor

The one and only God of Thunder.

Lest we forget, the mighty Thor is also the God of Thunder. He has a natural affinity for volatility. Living in the shadow of a volcano, I fully expected we’d make a pilgrimage up the mountain when he came to visit.

Having arrived just prior to an American feasting day, he settled down to enjoy dinner and ate with gusto. As an honored guest he felt particularly pleased to sit at the head of the table…even enjoying a tryptophane snuggle on the couch with the resident felines afterwards.

Late in the afternoon Thor indicated he might like to take a visit up the mountain. Already aware of his predilection for snow, I planned ahead and took some extra blankets. Ah. You know what they say about good intentions, right? Disaster awaited. Little did I know that Thor had secreted an army of minions within the supplies.

Thor's minions

The army inside the blanket.

Thank goodness it was a holiday and the roads were virtually empty of tourists. We experienced no delays or unexpected happenings on the drive. We paused long enough for Thor to admire a local waterfall and I noticed his cheeks became flushed, his excitement mounted, and his adrenalin surged as we approached the snow line.

Once we reached the topmost access near the farthest access to the mountain, he was bouncing up and down on the seat like an excited child. The winds approached katabatic strength, howling down from the peaks of the caldera, blowing gusts of glittering snow dust into swirling clouds.

Thor is reminded of home

Right before he leaped from the window.

Something about that sound triggered a dormant response in the mighty warrior, a primordial connection to his ancient heritage. The next thing I knew, he’d bolted from the truck. He bounded through the snow drifts in great leaps, his minions trailing out behind him. He headed directly for the impressive double doors of the observatory.

Perhaps they reminded him of the entry to the great halls of Asgard, or his own home, Bilskirnir.

My sentimental assumption that he was homesick was quickly replaced by horrified realization. I did not expect the God of Thunder to attempt to oust the National Park Service and overtake the observatory, at least not on his first visit. Fortunately the only park service personnel on staff were busy finalizing seasonal shutdown and we avoided a confrontation. The limitations of his current form made progressing through the deepening snow, well, complicated. Eventually he went facedown in a deep pocket and had to be retrieved before he smothered. You can imagine how that made him feel…everyone knows about Thor’s cranky disposition.

Thor followed by his minions

Thor leading his ragtag army of minions.

Though his utter brazenness was dazzling; alas, his efforts were equally sidelined by the defection of his ragtag army which were also left floundering in deep drifts. Thor graciously agreed to return to the heat of the vehicle.

On the return journey from the mountain he was able to shrug off his disappointment, lured by the offer of a new hand-made hammer. A near catastrophe in the smithy might have resulted in terrible injury, were it not for the quick reactions of my son. Thor, having forgotten he is in fact inhabiting a six-inch body made of plastic, stood too near the forge. The intense heat pouring from the blast furnace became uncomfortably warm and disaster was averted by the swift thinking of his five-year-old namesake.

Once Thor dried off, thanked his rescuer, and admired his new traveling hammer, he decided it might be best if he continued on his journey forthwith.

Thor and his namesake, Thor

Thor and his namesake, Thor.

Though sad to see him go, to be honest, hosting a God requires a great deal of effort. Capable of great charm, he is also pampered and temperamental. He was not at all pleased to learned the honorable Ms. Kristi had embarked on a Hawaiian escape (more volcanoes!) during his absence.  I suspect she may have her hands full when at last, his journey leads back home. By the way, I was able to keep the truth about his doppelganger, a secret. Good luck with that one when the spoiled brat Norseman discovers that tidbit.

Follow the link to learn more about Thor’s World Tour and what the man with the big hammer has been doing the last couple of months.

I returned Thor to his cardboard sarcophagus, ready to continue his journey. Now that he’s out of earshot, it’s time to confess past transgressions. Have you ever had a treasured houseguest do unexpected things? Were you the guest who moved in and stayed too long?

You can share, he won’t know…

, ,

1. #1 by Debra Kristi on December 13, 2012 - 8:39 am

Oh my gosh. I love it Lesann. What a fun post. I sure hope Thor never finds out about his double. But then that’s probably too much to hope for. Sounds like he kept you on your toes. Minions and all, huh? Wow. Sorry about the mess that must have left. The peace and quiet must be really nice now that he has moved on. Throwing together something now to let people know your post is up.

• #2 by Leslie Berry/ @LesannBerry on December 13, 2012 - 11:17 am

Thank Debra! Good luck keeping Thor under control once he makes his way home. We had to provide a duplicate for our son who decided that maybe Thor should just stay with us on a permanent basis…good thing you gave him that personal tattoo or there might have been a mix-up! Thanks for letting him visit and I look forward to hearing about his further escapades!

2. #3 by Jennette Marie Powell on December 13, 2012 - 11:21 am

LOL I don’t get too many houseguests in Ohio! Great story – although now I’m rethinking taking him to the National Museum of the USAF – it’s on a base, and I see a national security incident in the making….

• #4 by Leslie Berry/ @LesannBerry on December 14, 2012 - 1:52 pm

Thanks for visiting, Jennette! I would be a little wary of taking Thor anywhere that might involve National Security. There’s definitely a little bit of rebellious behavior beating inside the mighty chest. On the other hand, he’s raised hell everywhere else, by the time he gets there, they may be ready!

3. #5 by Melinda VanLone on December 13, 2012 - 3:13 pm

LOL Thor is at it again! I love his minions, and I love that they tried to take over the park service hehe. And his namesake has the most squeezable cheeks ever!

• #6 by Leslie Berry/ @LesannBerry on December 14, 2012 - 1:53 pm

Thor is always at his bratty charming best! The minions were completely smitten. They gather round Thor’s replacement but it just isn’t the same. I agree, namesake has very squeezable cheeks! That’s the longest he’s every worn his tacky Viking helmet too….lol

• #7 by Debra Kristi on December 20, 2012 - 11:01 pm

But that helmet is just too cute!

• #8 by Leslie Berry/ @LesannBerry on December 20, 2012 - 11:38 pm

I love it too!

4. #9 by Kassandra Lamb on December 13, 2012 - 8:16 pm

Great post! I’d been wondering what Thor was up to.

• #10 by Leslie Berry/ @LesannBerry on December 14, 2012 - 1:54 pm

Thanks for visiting, Kassandra! Thor is a busy houseguest – if we hadn’t recently acquired two kittens, he’d have spent every day lounging on the couch watching reruns of inappropriate tv shows. The kittens kept him dodging under the couch quite often.

5. #11 by Diana Beebe on December 14, 2012 - 6:09 am

What a great adventure for Thor and for you! I can’t believe he charmed all those minions into coming along for the ride. LOL. Young Thor is absolutely adorable!

• #12 by Leslie Berry/ @LesannBerry on December 14, 2012 - 1:56 pm

Thanks for visiting, Diana! It was a great adventure. Several curious people politely watched as we took pictures on our drive up the mountain (nobody actually asked what we were doing), but he was his typical charming self. For a six inch plastic figure, he photographs rather well… Thanks for the adorable-kudos for the Wee Beast, we think he’s a keeper!

6. #13 by Tameri Etherton on December 18, 2012 - 4:05 pm

What fun! Thor is certainly a bit of trouble, if all these posts are to be believed. I love his rag tag army of minions. Too bad they got baffled by the snow. Well, maybe next time!

I’m loving Thor’s namesake in that hat! And Wee Beast is probably my favorite nickname, too bad my Wee Beast is now taller than me… although I could still use it on my daughter, she’s an inch shorter than me. 😉

• #14 by Leslie Berry/ @LesannBerry on December 20, 2012 - 11:35 pm

I suspect Thor will be an angel for you! Nevermind that you are the queen of hosting with grace, maker of excellent breakfasts, and wearer of glittery footwear…it will make the rest of us look like surly hosts and he’ll enjoy that immensely. I’m looking forward to hearing about new adventures.

I can’t believe how fast the Wee Beast is growing. I know everyone says that, but it’s just so darn true!

7. #15 by CC MacKenzie on December 19, 2012 - 1:18 pm

I turn by back for just a moment and look at what he’s up to this time! Thor’s namesake it a cutie pie.

Great post, Lesann!

• #16 by Leslie Berry/ @LesannBerry on December 20, 2012 - 11:35 pm

Thor knows when he isn’t the center of attention – and he acts out. Fortunately his visit wasn’t long enough to influence his namesake, he’s still a sweetie. Thanks for dropping by!

8. #17 by Laura Ritchie on December 20, 2012 - 9:07 am

Oh, dear. In following his journey, I can see that Thor is a pretty high-maintenance guest. Gosh… I don’t know. Gathering hordes of minions? Turning on the National Park Service? It makes me look around and wonder what crazy things he will try to pull on his visit to my neck of the woods! ~bites nails~

• #18 by Leslie Berry/ @LesannBerry on December 20, 2012 - 11:38 pm

I think Thor enjoys being a high-maintenance guest because he’s such a glutton for the center of attention. Not that he doesn’t deserve constant attention and admiration, but it requires a household of folks to keep the man entertained. At least you’ll be prepared for his arrival. Watch! He’ll be all peaches and cream from here on out and make all of us look humorless. Just think positive! *good luck*

1. Minions, Mountains, and the God of Thunder | Debra Kristi's Blog